We had our first encounter with The Smart Train intersection control lights in December 2012–See the Press Democrat Article–Railroad crossing arms close on Petaluma couple’s car at green light
We were assured that they were aware of the situation and it would be fixed.
But then in September 2016 we encountered another intersection light control issue at a different location in Petaluma and discussed it in two blog posts…
TODAY at 3:25 PM we were returning home from Point Reyes and found ourselves again at the intersection of D and Lakeville–THE SCENE OF THE FIRST SMART ATTACK ON US in December 2012 (see above)
TODAY AT 3:25 PM
- The Smart Train pulled up and stopped by the train depot by the Petaluma Arts Center.
- The traffic lights were working normally controlling the heavy traffic.
- My wife was driving.
- Fortunately there was plenty of sunlight so I could see the train and keep my eye on it–unlike in December 2012.
- We were first in line and the traffic light turned green and my wife started forward and I yelled at her to stop as I could see the train starting to move and then the gates started to come down. Fortunately we able to stop before getting hit–Unlike in December 2012
- I was able to capture a photo as the light changed to yellow and the gates were already down or coming down…
D St & Lakeville Petaluma CA
SMART does not seem to understand that drivers are focused on their control lights. Traffic lights should be red long before the crossing gate arms are activated!
- AT LEAST OUR HOUSE ROOMBA “Bob” FOLLOWS INSTRUCTIONS IF PROPERLY PROGRAMMED.
- SMART seems unable to get it right and safe. If SMART cannot program the crossings to operate correctly and safely, then they should not be running the trains.
- Perhaps they would like to practice with our Roomba before running any more trains!
UPDATE April 29, 2017
I sent this article to every agency and elected official I could think of plus the two papers.
I clearly expect no answers or actions—Past promises have been repeatedly made and nothing changes. Whatever they say now I will not believe.
SMART is beyond shame or even ridicule…
UPDATE May 4, 2017
Received the following E-Mail from SMART at 8:27 am…
“Thanks for the link. I have forwarded it to our ops team.
Matt Stevens | Community Outreach & Education
Direct: 707.794.3074| Mobile: 707.328.3046
SMART | Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit
5401 Old Redwood Hwy., Suite 200, Petaluma, CA 94954″